April 16, 2012

Unexpected Victim

An Ode to Trayvon; The Legacy of Black Boys
Written By Rebekah A. Frimpong

"The Unexpected Victim"; the title on my epitaph
They said I was young Black and "dangerous"?
Unexpected victim; my dreams were not respected
They say: "Black boys don't dream, they die young"  
but I saw my visions true and my steps towards a legacy were not yet written
I tell them: " my mother knew I'd be something and my dad was proud "
labeled an unexpected victim, I had fear in my eyes
at that moment I did think he would pull the trigger
to him I was just another nigger (his words not mine)  
a word older than my mind
They say: "Black boys don't know love"
I felt like the world did not let me love it
Judged for breathing, I saw my fate play out
like a headline on the news
Slain Black kid; No Weapon No Hope
Did he even see me? I mean see my light, my gift?
I am human, I am some one's son, I am not a statistic
Black boy blues
Black boy true
unexpected victim: shot by the bullets of racism
sketched chalk outlines are the last memories my mother and father have of me
Yes, us Black boys we hurt too
The world pretends our pain is not real
Black tears, Black fears
no one cares
the reality that I could be you and you could be me
does not sink in...
An American tragedy but this is America's legacy
hanging Black boys, imprisoning Black boys, shooting Black boys
from my grave I speak as a child ghost
 I am Trayvon Martin; The Unexpected Victim

No comments:

Post a Comment