October 30, 2014

This Woman's Work

This Woman's Work (reflections on motherhood)
by Rebekah Frimpong



This woman's work is akin to
strong women carry babies on their backs
keeping their heads high facing the sun

I carried my son full term
9 months
40 weeks in the womb
Each kick he gave me pushed me to live each day remembering
remembering what it is all worth

My son's father left us at about 30 weeks
since then it has been him and me
My sun and I
my sun = my son is my circumference

I think of this woman's work; my own worth
This title as mother I accept and honor
I love deeper now than before
my back is stronger then before from being bent inward
to birth life forward

My skin shines a bit brighter
laminating a glow from nursing my joy
I see life from a different perspective
this woman's work is endless
dreams of my offspring's future
I smile wide reflecting his smile; my sun

The depth of connections like mother and son
this woman's work is this woman's worth
I think about the space between now and then
and between love and hate and the space between knowing and not knowing

I relish in the idea of pure joy at the idea of being a celestial guide for my child as he navigates through life
this woman's work is as I define it: beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment